Children like cycling. Among sporting activities for 10 to 14 year olds, cycling is top of the list. And even the smallest children enjoy propelling themselves forward with the help of support wheels. Several thousand children every year, however, come off the road when cycling and hurt themselves - and accidents to the head are the commonest form of injury.
A few tips:
- Children should always wear a helmet - even when cycling short distances.
- As a preparation for proper cycling, it is a good idea to practise with support wheels.
- Practise the specific cycling skills your child needs to acquire in a protected environment.
- Have the bicycles properly maintained by a professional.
- In road traffic, child cycles must have the equipment prescribed by law.
- Information on child transport by bicycle: here.